Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog, i am told, has dry scaley patches that could be seen when he w

Customer Question

my dog, i am told, has dry scaley patches that could be seen when he was being shampooed and clipped. he is not scratching, but when he rubs againsr y clothes they go white, and when I brush or strroke him my hands go white. what is it and what can I do about it. It is only recent. He is a 9 yr old Lhasa apso
thats really all I can tell you. he does drag his bum a lot, but otherwie is very placid and very laid back
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years.
This is a breed that is prone to allergic skin disease, meaning the dog has allergies that effect the skin, making it dry and scaley.
A good quality food can help with this as can adding omega fatty acids to the daily diet. coconut oil is usually go for this. I will direct you to a link that goes over this.
http://www.sitstay.com/blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs
As for scooting , this is a sign of an anal gland problem. The anal glads will usually break open when the dog has a bowel movement unless the stool is not firm enough. For that you want to add a teaspoon or two of pure canned pumpkin to the daily diet as it firm up the stool.