Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 17month cocker spaniel has constipation 3days

Customer Question

My 17month cocker spaniel has constipation for about 3days now what can I give her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Cali has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
If she is having any vomiting or loss of appetite then not being able to pass stool could indicate a gastrointestinal blockage from eating something that is to large to pass most often a non food item. If she is vomiting or has a history of eating things she should not then it would be best to have her seen by a vet before attempting to treat at home. This is because if something is stuck you do not want to stimulate the GI tract or this could cause perforation of the intestines.
If she is eating normally and does not eat thing she should not you can try one of the following
*1 teaspoon of mineral oil can be added to canned food or mashed potatoes twice daily.
* 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin daily
* Metamucil- 1 teaspoon in canned food twice daily
*Miralax can be used as well. This should be given at a dose of 1/4 of a teaspoon twice daily.
* Milk of Magnesia 1/4 of a teaspoon twice daily.
* Colace 1/2 of a 50mg table
* Pedilax ( glycerin only laxative for infants)
I hope this helps give you some options to try Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael, I'm just following up on our conversation about Cali. How is everything going?

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy