Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I found a pack of orbit gum on the floor with some pieces missing.

Customer Question

I found a pack of orbit gum on the floor with some pieces missing. I have no idea if my dog ate some of the gum. The pack wasn't torn apart and didn't have any bite marks so I'm hoping he didn't eat any. He seems to be acting normal. Should I take him to the vet hospital? He is 12 lb min pin/chi mix.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your Min Pin cross who may have eaten some Orbit gum. If you think there is a chance Scooter could have eaten some of this gum, then it isn't worth taking any risks here. Orbit typically contains xylitol which is very toxic to dogs and can cause a life threatening hypoglycemia (you can read more about this here: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/products-sweetened-with-xylitol-can-be-toxic-to-dogs ).
You can double check the packet to confirm this, but if this is indeed the case, then you should ideally get your boy right down to the local vet hospital so they can make him vomit and keep an eye on him. It really is better to be safe than sorry in these particular situations.
If for some reason you can't get Scooter down to your local vet or ER vet now, then you will need to try to get him to vomit from home. There are details online for this here: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs
Best of luck with your boy and do definitely follow up with your local vet on this now. Explain that it is a possibility that your boy could have ingested gum that contains xylitol and they will continue on from there. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would just follow up quickly to see how you got on with Scooter. Did you manage to get him in to your local vet clinic? Or did you get him to vomit at home?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Krista,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scooter. How is everything going?

Pet Doc