Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine practitioner for over 16 years, Served on board of directors to the AzVMA.
20956040

We have a Westie that seems like he can not pee....he stand

Customer Question

We have a Westie that seems like he can not pee....he stand there and waits...we have no doctors office open at this time any thing we can do?*****@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Scotty is having trouble urinating. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he passing any urine at all?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am going to opt out so another expert that is set up for a live phone call can help you. I am not currently set up for a phone conference, sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Sandy replied 1 year ago.
This is very concerning and may or may not be an emergency.
He could be obstructed and unable to urinate, which is an emergency, or he may have such irritation that he strains even when he is empty.
You can feel his belly, wrap both hands up underneath him and gently but firmly press together. If You feel a big tense bladder, you will need to have his penis catheterized. This may require driving to the nearest city with an emergency clinic, or calling your vet's after hours emergency line. Most states require all clinics to has a phone number to call in case of an emergency.
Failure to relieve the obstruction can be fatal if he is obstructed as waste and urea and excess Potassium back up into blood stream and can cause pain, and cardiac dysrrhythmias.