Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Just a question i gave my 3 yr old two wormimg tablets today

Customer Question

Hi just a question i gave my 3 yr old two wormimg tablets today as he were dragging bum he has really bad wind so i done his anal glands. Hes been acting strange for last few hours unselted trying to get his bum ect so i put him in shower to see if that carms him and it has bit but hes still not himself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 3 year old boy Troy who has been dragging his bum and who also has bad wind!
There are a few things that could be going on here and good on you for deworming him and emptying his anal glands. This rules out worms and full anal glands as the cause of his problem. It is still possible his anal glands are irritating him even after they have been emptied however - particularly if they are inflammed, or if they were very full. Other possible causes here include a flea bite allergy causing irritation around his tail base, or even the beginnings of gastroenteritis.
You will need to keep a close eye on him for the next hour or two if you can stay up with him. In particular, keep an eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
If your boy is due for a flea treatment, then please also do that once he has dried off (tomorrow morning would be fine). If he still can't settle tonight, you are best off playing it safe and having him checked by your local vet or ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would check in quickly to see how Troy is doing. Has he managed to settle and become comfortable yet? How is he today?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E