DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is crying and is running like it hurts his legs

Customer Question

Hello, my dog is crying and is running like it hurts his legs to walk. At first i thought it was his legs bothering him but i think it maybe his stomach or digestive system because he keeps biting it. He is a huge baby so he naturally ran for me to hold him so i did and carried him around for a while so he stopped crying but then when i put him on my bed then he was shaking as if he was cold but them sat on the air vent and was better. do you have an ideas what might be wrong or anything that could help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry to hear that Boo is not feeling well. Your dog may be moving strangely and shaking either due to abdominal pain or a fever (or a combo of the two). If you have a thermometer you can take his temp. Wet or lube it with Vaseline and insert gently into the rectum. If his temp is greater than 102 F, then he has a fever and is sick and needs to get to the vet. Now he could have a fever due to an abdominal problem like pancreatitis ...or if he doesn't have the fever, he may just have GI upset. Has he eaten something he shouldn't have recently? Toys, garbage, something outside, a plant, people food? Any of these could cause a problem. Will he eat right now? Try to keep meals small and wetted down with water to make sure he stays hydrated. If he has the fever or is not improving or begins vomiting or dry heaving or nS diarrhea, then get to a vet. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.