Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a poodle mix, maybe with a Maltese per the shelter.

Customer Question

My dog is a poodle mix, maybe with a Maltese per the shelter. She is about 7-8 yrs old. Very healthy. Never spayed & seems to have been a breeder?--not sure. She went into show heat last May & Nov, buy it is now Jun & she still has not gone into heat. Is this normal? Is she ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Thank you for your question. Dogs should typically go into heat about every 6 months but it can be 4 months and up to 10 months between heats. There are certain breeds (such as the Basenji) that have a heat only once a year normally.
With her age, she might be at the point that her heats will be variable or she might simply stop having heat cycles. This can happen as young as 6 years old and even as old as 11 years old in some dogs!
As long as she is not having weight loss, discharge vaginally with an odor, normal appetite, and no abdominal swelling she might have a delayed heat, a silent heat (which means there is no bleeding), or she might simply not have a heat again. If she does have any of the above signs then it is time to have her evaluated to ensure that there is not an infection in her uterus or a pyometra.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!