Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Doc, My chihuahua dog has given birth to 3 puppies. they

Customer Question

Hi Doc, My chihuahua dog has given birth to 3 puppies. they have now nearly 4 weeks. But last Thursday, the mom has had an "eclamcy" and had a big lake of calcium so we went to the vet and they provided her with calcium and some calcium tabs to take in the future. The vet decided also to stop her to feed the puppies and give her Galastop. I continued the galastop 2 more days but the mom is fit now and it is just a nightmare for her not to feed her puppies. My question is how many days do I need to wait after stopping Galastop to bring her back to her puppies and what is the risk for the puppy if he drink the milk ? Thank a lot for your future answers.
Best regards.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The half-life of cabergoline (Galastop) - the time it takes for the highest level of the drug to drop to one half of that level - is around 60 hours. The duration of pharmacologic action is shorter - about 48 hours. It would be prudent, then, to wait 4 days (96 hours) after the Galastop is discontinued to allow the pups to nurse once again. Be sure to maintain the calcium supplement until Foxy's pups are fully weaned. If Foxy relapses in spite of the supplement, the pups shouldn't nurse from her again.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.