Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

There, I have a question in regards ***** ***** Husky... She

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a question in regards ***** ***** Husky... She is nearly 4 years old, and has medical problems that cannot be diagnosed. She has had multiple seizures in the past, but not regularly enough to medicate for them. She is obese but cannot seem to lose weight, no matter what we try, and she has been to the vet multiple times for blood work etc. However my question and concern comes to her recent behavior that started yesterday. We went to release her from her crate about as soon as she stood up she was coughing/wheezing. This continued most the night whenever she was standing, and would stop with only panting laying down. She has no interest in water and has been hiding with her face in dark places. Today the coughing has stopped, but she is still panting and hiding, she seems so depressed and like she truly isn't feeling well. As much as I want to rush her back to the vet, I feel like every time we take her, we leave without knowing whats wrong and it costs us a fortune for no answers. Hopefully you can help. Thank you.

UPDATE:  I've also notice she is walking very slowly now with her head down, she comes up to me for some love and affection and then walks away like she doesn't know where she needs to go, I'm wondering if she has had a seizure (episode) that I wasn't aware of.  Sometimes this is how she acts afterwards, but not with the coughing.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Coughing dogs need to be auscultated (chest listened to) and X-rayed in order to clarify why coughing/wheezing has arisen. Infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") is a common cause of what you're seeing but rarely results in panting and such morbidity (severity of symptoms) such as hiding and appearing depressed. I would have to consider more serious etiologies such as cardiovascular and lower respiratory disorders such as pneumonia, sterile bronchitis. and even neoplasia. Knowing more about her past undiagnosed medical disorders might help me understand why she's coughing and wheezing at this time. I would appreciate a synopsis of prior symptoms.
For now, please check her gum and tongue color for me. They should be nicely pink - not bluish-greyish or whitish. Please check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be breathing less than 40 times/minute. Please check her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute will do. This should be a two person job. Normal is 100.5-102.5F.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. She seems to be doing much better, it seems that she may have had an episode (seizure) while we were out, so we weren't aware of it. B/c he behaviour was similar to how she is after she has a seizure, the only difference was the coughing. This has subsided and she is now back to her happy self. I appreciate your help.

Thank you for the good update. I never argue with success. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate all your help. Thank you.
It's my pleasure.
Hi Vicky,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She seems fine. Thank you. No coughing or anything.

Sorry for that automatic follow-up from the site. I have no control over those.
Please disregard the info request. No need to reply at this time.