Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Does sterility in male dogs bring any other health concern

Customer Question

Does sterility in male dogs bring any other health concerns?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
Do you mean sterility caused by a dog being neutered, or sterility caused by another problem?
If you are referring to the neuter surgery, this is a great question and highly controversial.
For most dogs, especially the small breeds, there are very few other health concerns. Some would argue it can predispose to weight gain, although it is easily argued that is more likely due to dogs over eating and being too sedentary in the city life.
However, for large or giant breed dogs, it is believed it could alter their growth and possibly predispose to other joint or bone problems. That is why some vets are now encouraging that large or giant breed dogs not get neutered at 6 months of age, but perhaps, wait until at least 12-16 months to do the surgery. But, not all vets agree on this issue.
This question becomes even more complicated when talking about female dogs. When a female dog is spayed BEFORE their first heat cycle, their chances for getting mammary cancer are the least. This is very significant since we diagnose a lot of mammary cancer in older female dogs. But! Early spay surgery may also predispose to other issues like other forms of cancer that appear to be less common or other joint issues.
So, its a very difficult question. For a small breed MALE dog, I strongly encourage the neuter surgery at roughly 6 months of age.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that I was unclear. I am not talking about a neutered dog. I am thinking about purchasing a young Pom who was going to be used for breeding, but was found to be sterile. So, in this instance, I was asking about other than neutered situation. The dog is male.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Understood.
It depends on what has caused the sterility. If he has a abnormal testicle, that could predispose to a cancerous testicle in the future. But, getting him neutered would remove that concern.
Being properly diagnosed as sterile is also difficult. Most regular vets or breeders would not be capable of making that diagnosis, so make sure there is a reproductive specialist vet involved as well.
If sterile, and will not be bred, I would have him neutered to take away any concerns about the testicle malformation causing any future problems.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. I apologize if you did not find my answer helpful or satisfactory? May I be of any further assistance?