Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Could you please help I have a west highland terrier I have

Customer Question

Hi could you please help I have a west highland terrier I have been away for a month and my little dog was at a very reputable dog boarding kennel and I have been home for a week and she has had bad diarrhoea and a very sore bottom from always at toilet today I did not give her any food to see if it would help but not really what can I give her to stop this and so she can go back to normal food which she only has dry food (skin support) from the vet there must be something I could get at chemist to stop this without having to go to vets again as it's very expensive for me please help thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your terrier. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
My favorite medication, safest and usually the most effective, is metronidazole, but that is a prescription medication and you would have to go to a veterinarian for it.
You could try Pepto Bismal (bismuth subsalicylate), or Imodium (loperamide), which are over the counter medications in my country (US). Knowing her weight will help me to give an accurate dose, but probably about 1/4th of the labeled dose for people of one of these should help. Those are the only two over the counter medications I consider safe to use in dogs. I would not use them more than twice daily for 2 days; if it is going to help it should do so in that time.
Hope one of these helps her, and let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Elspeth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?