Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dig has a lump that keeps getting bigger on his neck and

Customer Question

My dig has a lump that keeps getting bigger on his neck and face. Can you tell me what to do to get it to go down please?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
Could you take a picture of the lump and attach it to this thread? You can attach a jpeg file or upload it online and attach the link here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes here are two
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks.
That is pretty red/ irritated under the fur. In that location, I would want to rule out an abscess. That would be an infected lump. It could be from something that penetrated the skin and then abscessed. It could be from a tooth root that abscessed from inside the mouth. It could also be from a foreign body in the mouth that migrated through the gums into the area.
The first step is a needle aspirate into the swelling. That will tell whether it's infectious fluid (pus) or not. We then anesthetize to drain/ flush the area and explore it for any foreign body.
A more conservative approach would be just starting antibiotics and pain meds. I think I would want to be more aggressive if it's been there for a few days.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started yesterday and at that point it was only on is neck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And its hard when you push in it
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
The only other differential would be an allergic reaction from a spider bite or bee sting. If you want to try something at home first, you can give some Benadryl. If it's an insect bite/ sting, the Benadryl should help it go down. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. You can give it every 6-8 hours, as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will try that
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?