Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Over the weekend my beagles back right leg began to swell all

Customer Question

Over the weekend my beagles back right leg began to swell all the way down to the paw...and would barely put any weight on it...also there was a an open spot on the outside of that same leg so i sprayed some blue spray on it...the next day i raised that leg up and from the inside of that leg puss was draining from it and alot of the swelling was down...i had some antibiotics (clavox) that he had been given awhile back that i also started giving him 2 days ago...he hasnt been eating. he only eats a little hotdog when I give him the medicine, he is drinking his water...but is not able to walk at all...he will try a little but falls over...he is 11 years old and is kept outside...i have him inside right now...please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. This may be one of a couple things. It could just be a wound that became infected. That would be the best case scenario. In that case, we would anesthetize him and drain/ flush the purulent material from the leg. We would then use oral antibiotics and pain meds.
The other possible cause, is Lymphoma. This is a common cancer in older dogs. I see a lot of dogs that present with just limb swelling. This is due to the cancer obstructing the lymphatics. The drainage is then due to the increased pressure and fluid leaking out between skin cells. The diagnosis is made by getting a needle aspirate of the lymph nodes. Treatment is with chemotherapy and steroids (Prednisone).
I would have a vet palpate the leg and try to get samples to determine whether it's Lymphoma or an abscess.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rock. How is everything going?