Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I came home from work and found our beagle dead in our fenced

Customer Question

I came home from work and found our beagle dead in our fenced in yard. He was fine last night but I noticed he didn't eat his food this am. He seemed fine otherwise. This was a shock as moe had survived so much. When I found him 7 years ago he was starving,was dehydrated and was full of heart worm. The vet said he was only about 48 hours from death. After treatment he had done very well and has had no further problems with the exception of a seizure about 3 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it doesn't really matter but it would help to know what might have happened
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ... I am so sorry to hear of your loss, this must be very upsetting for you, nine years of age is still very young for a dog these days . This situation is far from normal but does occur sometimes, as a rough estimate I used to see such sudden death cases like yours around twice a year in my busy three vet practice.The only way you would find out for sure what happened is to have had a post mortem carried out. Many of my clients were against this because they did not want their much loved dog cut about and as a pet owner myself I do not blame them in the slightest for feeling that way.However in my experience when I did carry out post mortems in most cases if you discount poisoning either accidental or otherwise, sudden deaths like Moe's were often related to some form of previously undiscovered heart disease. Given his history this is certainly possible. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it was most likely heart related as well. We don't have any toxic substances around and I checked him for snake bite and saw nothing. There are lots of copperheads in our area and even rattlesnakes but I did not see any signs of a bite. Thank you for your time.
No problem, very glad to have advised you. Again my condolences ... Dr Scott.Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.