Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a papillion who has reverse sneezing. He is panting,

Customer Question

I have a papillion who has reverse sneezing. He is panting, can we calm him down with a small dose of Ativan?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry for the long wait, I just logged on and saw this.

For reverse sneezing, there is one trick that works occasionally. If you rub the base of his ears pretty vigorously during an episode, it may stop it. When you rub the inner ear, it can stop the reaction. I haven't used this trick much, but when I have it does seem to help.

If you want to give something at home, Benadryl actually works better. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours, as needed. Ativan is more of a sedative, but it doesn't have any anti-inflammatory properties like Benadryl. If you do use it, just use a small 1/4 tab dose.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Theresa Anderson-Varney. How is everything going?