Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog swallowed an avocado pit. He's a 90lb shepherd. I gave

Customer Question

my dog swallowed an avocado pit. He's a 90lb shepherd. I gave him a whole bottle of hydrogen pyroxide right away but he hasn't thrown it up. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. The danger here is that the avocado pit gets into his intestinal tract it could well cause a blockage, if this happens then expensive abdominal surgery will be your only option. If this happened within the last hour { two hours at the very outside } and you have not recovered the pit using peroxide then you should act quickly. Contact your your local ER vet as they likely have a medication (Apomorphine) which causes vomiting in a much more reliable fashion. Also some vets may be able to recover the pit with a gastroscope.2. At ninety pounds you have a big dog so it is also possible that the pit may pass on it's own but if you do not manage to recover the pit by inducing vomiting then you should carefully monitor your dog for symptoms of blockage such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if any such occur contact your vet without delay. These are your only options I am afraid ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.