Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 4 mo old black lab pup drank an entire bowl of water in

Customer Question

my 4 mo old black lab pup drank an entire bowl of water in past hour, ate 2 full cupfuls of food and seems urgently wanting more food. he is not overweight, normal high puppy activity
this reminds me of when he went a bit crazy seeking relief after eating peace lily. haven't seen him eat anything toxic tonight but behavior seems similar
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I definitely would advise removing the water and any food, this can be nausea or an upset stomach and he may have some vomiting in the next few hours. If you can redirect him with a toy or a short walk that would be great, 10+ minutes to get the digestion moving and reduce the full stomach feeling.
What he likely was showing after ingestion of a peace lily is because they are common when a dog has nausea, some dogs will have licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass while others will try to ingest anything in their site (particularly water) which unfortunately they bring up later or have intestinal cramping as a result of the gorging.
Hopefully getting him out and walking and then redirecting with a toy will help reduce this craving. For tonight water only in moderation not full bowls, perhaps 1/4 cup hourly if he is still craving it an no further food with the exception of something high in fiber and filling like a carrot...
Please let me know if this makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with tonight. I hope Oscar is feeling better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You can also give pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound to help settle his stomach...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses last night. How is Oscar doing today?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman