Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

If your dog is ready infected heart worms and you give heart

Customer Question

if your dog is ready infected heart worms and you give heart worm prevention pills can it kill your dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. This is a great question and one I address quite often. Giving a heartworm positive dog heartworm preventatives usually will not cause a problem. But there is a chance that a reaction could occur in the dog due to the preventative killing off baby heartworms in the body. So this should only be done under the supervision of your vet. The degree of infection has to be known with additional testing such as urinalysis and x rays to stage the heartworm infection. If the dog has a really bad infection then it is more likely to cause a reaction than a dog with an early or less severe infection. We usually start dogs on heartworm prevention if they test positive to prevent further infection while we are treating the other heartworms. Again this is done all under a vets supervision to minimize risks and prevent reactions.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead