Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 6 yr old chihuahua is yelping when we pick her up and has

Customer Question

My 6 yr old chihuahua is yelping when we pick her up and has been shaking a lot she seems to be in pain. She has been eating well and normal bowels I did change her food and since then she's been like this. I have changed her back to her normal food and she ate some
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Vocalizing when lifted is one of the signs of back pain in small dogs - in particular, the pain associated with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Shaking, trembling, reluctance to jump up or down or navigating steps, a change in posture - a "hunch" in the back and/or holding the neck rigid and head low - and a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy" are supportive signs of a disk.
Her vet can careful palpate (feel) your Chihuahua's spine for areas of hyperpathia suggestive of a disk and, if present, initiate therapy with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or meloxicam, a skeletal muscle relaxant such as diazepam or methocarbamol, and a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol. X-rays may be recommended but many of us will rely on the findings of our physical exam and treat presumptively.
Until she can be attended to, it's best to restrict exercise and discourage jumping. If she became paretic (weak) or a limb became paralyzed, she should be seen by a vet at your earliest convenience. I don't believe that her behavior is related to her diet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?