Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Have an 11 year old golden retriever - female - who has a white

Customer Question

have an 11 year old golden retriever - female - who has a white spot in the middle of one eye. it has gotten a little larger in 3 years. my vet here does not know what it is and has referred me to a vet an hr away - and I've gone to some of those vets an hr away and wasn't happy with them. I'm just trying to do a little research so if you have any idea of what is it please tell me. the spot is circular but not in an even circle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** Thank you for the question. Is this spot on the surface of her eye or does it look like it is within her eye?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
The most common causes of a white spot of the surface of the cornea is due to fat or calcium depositing at that site. It is typically harmless but can change in size. I always screen the body with a blood panel to be sure there is not an underlying cause contributing to this deposition. The most common causes are high calcium, fat or cholesterol levels in the blood. If that is the case, then further investigating is needed to identify why that is occurring. If the general health profile is normal, then the eyes are typically monitored. A specialist can be seen to have the spots physically removed if they are bothering the pet or are rough leading to the under side of the eyelid becoming irritated.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have follow up questions regarding that information.