Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a new pound puppy and he was diagnosed with kennel cough so the vet put him on 100m

Customer Question

I have a new pound puppy and he was diagnosed with kennel cough so the vet put him on 100mg doxycycline 2x a day. Now my bluetick has caught it complete with deep honking. I have abottle of 200mg, what would a dosage for her be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual that your other dog has caught this disease because it is extremely contagious. The good news is that it is self limiting and will resolve on its own. The dose of Doxycycline is 2.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. It is also good to give a cough suppressant such as Robitussin DM at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of their weight every 8 hrs to help calm down that horrible honking gagging cough.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

YOu are very welcome, Lauri....I am sure they will both sound and feel better soon with your care.