Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Customer Question

.My name is***** home now and Nalu is still the same way, not eating or drinking water. My wife said (and I just witnessed) she has been throwing up. What comes out is a clear, bubble, saliva like liquid.
My wife also took her to the animal clinic and they took her temperature and everything was fine. They gave us an antibiotic to give her orally and she's been on that since June 2nd of this year. Today they mentioned something about an injection. Some kind
of transfusion. Do you know what this is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I ma so sorry to hear about sweet Nalu's condition....it is hard to know from what you have described what may be wrong with her. Since she has not responded to the antibiotics, Nalu needs a full blood panel to know what may be causing this.
For the digestive disturbance, follow these instructions:
Fast Nalu for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Nalu back to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.
If they are considering a transfusion, she may be seriously anemic and there are many causes for this that your vet will have to explore.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Loukas,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nalu. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta