Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I accidentally gave my 55 lb pit my othe dogs 50 mg. Tramadol?

Customer Question

I accidentally gave my 55 lb pit bull my othe dogs 50 mg. Tramadol? Should I do anything?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. This should be no cause for concern, your dog should be just fine, there is no need to take any action of any sort. 2. The reason I say this is that the normal starting dose for Tramadol in the dog is 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given twice a day, { 55 mg in your case } . Since the dose you accidental gave is well within a published dose rate for your dog then you would not expect any side effects or consequences. 3. You can confirm the above dose rate and read more on how this drug is used in the dog HERE I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Tramadol.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Carlene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chance. How is everything going?