Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I am trying to determine if I should wake up a sleeping Pug

Customer Question

I am trying to determine if I should wake up a sleeping Pug to make him throw up. Fairly confident he swallowed a small-med size peach pit, & at least 1 small plum pit we're pretty sure went down. our experience with this leaves big scars-emotionally,financially & physically as it happened last summer and we didn't know about it until the dog was sick sick and very sick 7-10 days later. Ultrasound confirmed obstruction, we allowed the surgery. It was a success and we were lukcy; but his intestines have been a bit compromised as a result. I am wondering if there is a maximum time window to induce vomiting; and what can we put together with the peroxide to lubricate the peach to go out smoothly?
thanks for asking,
Jaymie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Usually recovering objects like this by inducing vomiting has to be done within two hours of ingestion at the most outside, { Better one hour } But given your dog's history and the fact there is still a very slim chance that this object may still be lodged in the stomach I would be tempted to attempt vomiting anyway. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how best to do this : LINK 2. Failing that there is chance this object may pass on it is own, but giving your Pug a couple of teaspoons of olive oil or vegetable cooking oil twice a day could help it pass by lubricating the alimentary tract. 3. I guess you are well aware of the symptoms of an intestinal tract blockage but look out for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if any such occur contact your vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the peach pit.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.