Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

3yr old labor doodle acting strange Will not lye down licking

Customer Question

3yr old labor doodle acting strange
Will not lye down licking her tail area
Was groomed on Monday and shaved for summer
Eating and drinking
No open areas visible
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Breeze.
Licking the tail area...that may be the key to her agitation.
Licking in that area could be due to anal gland discomfort (if the groomer did an anal gland expression incorrectly or insufficiently). Maybe flea related, even if no visible fleas. Possibly irritation or reaction associated with any shampoo that was used or any shampoo accidentally left on the skin.
Benadryl was a wise choice to try. But, if not working, then absolutely she'll need a vet visit for some extra help. I would expect the vet may recommend a short course of steroids or a steroid shot to get her more comfortable. It is also easy for a vet or technician to check the anal glands to see if they are contributing to the problem.
Good Luck!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Breeze. How is everything going?