Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is acting very not himself and i'm worried about him,

Customer Question

My dog is acting very not himself and i'm worried about him, I need to know if I should take him to the Emergency Vet or am safe to make a vet appointment. His symptoms: He is raising his rear and will slam it back down every few minutes, He seems to be extremely sensitive to the touch becomes very aggressive growls, every frew minutes he will open his mouth and stick his tongue out of his mouth like as though he may vomit or dry heave but he gives no sound and nothing comes up, almost as though he is trying to get rid of a bad taste. He is very very uncomfortable, he is laying on his tummy but very still unmoving in almost any kind of way, and he is making it a very clear point that he does not want to move. Please help me in any way, anything will help hints to point me in the right direction even i'm looking up things as im typing also if I don't find anything soon I am taking him to Animal Emergency Hospital.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Did he get into anything?
2- Is he walking any different?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I am aware he hasn't gotten into anything, this morning he shared a few bites of biscuits and gravy with me but that was all that was anything different. He drank water after words played after words and seemed his spunky self. I left to go to work and recieved a phone call around 6:30-6:40 letting me know that he was not acting himself, that he had barely moved from the spot that I had left him at which was on the foot stool in front of the couch. He had no reaction or at least not a normal one when I had taken off I just assumed he was work out and tired from the night before.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when a dog is behaving in the way that Dasher is behaving that is consistent with abdominal pain. There are many possible causes. Common causes are: Pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, stones, and less likely back pain as a result of a pinched nerve, etc. to name a few causes. Having a history of eating gravy I would place pancreatitis high on the list of possible causes.
Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would really want to rule out pancreatitis as it could be fatal if not treated promptly. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. In the meantime, take away the food and water until he has been seen by a veterinarian. You can also start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Salina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dasher. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter