Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog was diagnoised with pancreatitis and they said we could give him a baby asprin. He

Customer Question

My dog was diagnoised with pancreatitis and they said we could give him a baby asprin. He weighs about 14 pounds and wondering how much we should give him. Does it have to be with food?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My concern is that he started panting hard after he ate and is now in distress. We fed him the GI food and he can't seem to get comfortable. They have a hospital here but it does not have round the clock care for him. They have doctors that are on call and go check on him. We just don't know if that would be wise.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.Sorry to learn of your dog;s condition, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. On the basis that your vet has suggested this I can tell you the following : A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. Here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK 2. Aspirin is always best given with food if possible. 3. In the early stages acute pancreatitis can be very unpleasant and uncomfortable for the dog's concerned so what you are seeing could be normal at this stage, however if the discomfort continues then you should have him checked over again by your vet without delay just to be on the safe side. 4. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers acute pancreatitis in the dog : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have two of you answering my questions right now. Not sure what to do?

Hello again, As you are a subscriber there is no problem { Or expense to yourself } in accepting and rating both sets of replies, or you can continue to work with either one or both of us if you wish ... Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Brenda,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the aspirin.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?