Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Regarding fleas on dogs, is a product with pyrethrims and exthoxylpyridine

Customer Question

Regarding fleas on dogs, is a product with pyrethrims and exthoxylpyridine effective?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Pyrethrins are one of the more effective flea killing methods on the market but it depends on the actual product. There still needs to be a carrier method -- for example when frontline is applied between the shoulders, it is transferred throughout the skin through the glands. If another topical with the same active ingredient does not have the carrier method in it, it will not be effective. Flea collars are not effective unless they also have a carrier method such as the Seresto collar. Is there a specific product you were looking at?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Pyriproxyfen which is the abbreviate name of the second compound you mentioned is found in Advantage/Advantix, which is effective in killing fleas if used on the monthly basis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hartz Ultra Guard Plus collars and I'm considering spraying Advantage teatment spray for dogs with Pytrethrims and ethxylpyridine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or collar Hartz Ultra (not Plus with second ingredient)
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I do not have good luck with the Hartz collars or topicals. It is about 50/50 effective. The advantage sprays work well for treating the household. The spray that is applied directly to the dogs is harder to properly dose then the topical so there is more room for failure due to incorrect dosing amount.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
It adult dogs, the spray also has to be done on a weekly basis, as opposed to monthly for the topical version.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Frontline can be purchased over the counter as well as advantage. Although frontline does not guarantee their over the counter product like the do when it is from a vet, it still has a better success rate than other OTC varieties. My personal variety is still the seresto collar though
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Do you have questions about that information?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady And Maya. How is everything going?
Dr. Emily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still fighting but only on very small areas where they are scratching, but much less ofTen. I am going to change the collars from Hartz to advantage or Frontline, depending on which I can find.