Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a five year old Labrador who has always been

Customer Question

Hello
We have a five year old Labrador who has always been healthy no problems whatsoever. She recently had a litter and we wondered if she was perhaps a little run down. She got sore eyes and a lump developed from a small cut caused by another dog nibbling her. We wondered at the time whether there was any connection our vet said no. Subsequently the lump was removed successfully after an initial dose of anti biotics did nothing to help eyes or lump. After surgery the wound is healed the vet was 99pc certain it was an abccess as only blood was aspirated. She was prescribed chlorphenicol for the eyes then a stronger anti biotic drop which made her eyes look more sore than ever then an Fucithalmic together with anti inflammatories Rimadyn which seem to help a bit. At this stage after region of 6 weeks we were referred to an eye specialist who flushed the tear ducts and prescribed Carprodyl and Exocin eye drops. Now after approx. 10 days ( we are due to go back to vet after two weeks) there is still no improvement and we have just noticed that her legs are swollen. She is eating normally but does seem out of sorts we are at our wits end and do not feel we have got to the root cause of her problem. The eyes are a little pussy but the infection is in the lids which remain red and a little droopy. I have been looking at a previous post and wonder if we are dealing with some kind of allergy / immune reaction. Herdiet has not been changed but would something more natural say rice based help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It wouldn't be ethical to conjecture about the state of Meg's eyes because a specialist has already attended to them and is best equipped to know what kind of pathology exists. It sounds as if that specialist is going to recheck Meg shortly which is certainly appropriate.
Her swollen legs, however, concern me. Are all of her legs involved? In most cases, a dependent edema exists - a collection of fluid that migrates downward under the pull of gravity. This can occur due to right-sided heart failure or hypoproteinemia - a lack of albumin in the blood, mainly. This small protein is necessary for maintaining the osmotic pressure in vessels and keeping fluid inside those vessels and away from body cavities and subcutaneous tissues. Lymphedema - a collection of lymph - is less commonly found but can occur secondary to impaired lymphatic drainage often due to malignant cells obstructing lymphatic vessels. I don't believe that Meg is dealing with an allergy or dietary problem but an immune-mediated disorder should remain on my differential diagnosis list.
Please respond with additional information or further questions or concerns if you wish.