Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a large lump on his neck the vet charged me $200

Customer Question

Hi my dog has a large lump on his neck the vet charged me $200 to tell me they can't help him I want to know what can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about your Pug having this lump. I am a veterinarian and will try to do my best to help.
How big is it: an orange? a lime?
What was done for the $200; did they do any kind of biopsy?
How long has the lump been there?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 months ago it was a gobogeyslf ball size
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
Was any kind of biopsy done?
The first thing with any lump is to find out what it is. I usually start with FNA, fine needle biopsy, to get some cells or fluid from inside the lump, to look at microscopically. Then we can tell whether it is cancer or not.
If it is golf ball sized, it should be able to be removed surgically. What did the vet that you saw tell you about what they think it is, and if it can be removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A biopsy was done and that they are not certified to do what he needed. A fine needle aspirate cytology. Meds : carprofen 25 mg and amoxi/clav mg AMF if I can take him to a vet about 100 miles away and they would forward his chat to them and I do apologize for taking so long thank you for being so patient
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That I would have to take him to a certified vet 100 miles away
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
For $200, they did not do any biopsy, just an exam? No report on what this is: cancer, a benign growth? Did they do any blood tests?
Are they sending you to a surgery specialist?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, did not scroll up to see your first response!
What did they tell you they found on the FNA; cancer or not?
What are they recommending that they are not certified to do? Surgical removal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't say just that they are not certified also they wouldn't give me the results but if I take him to a certified vet that they would forward the results not certified to remove it they did not mention cancer just that there's veins and things in his neck and they can't tell or would know how to treat him
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like this should be removed. The bigger it gets, the harder it will be to safely remove, and have enough skin to close the incision.
I am sorry you took him to a vet who does not feel qualified to remove the growth. The only choices you have are to live with it, watch it possibly get bigger, and cause him problems, or to find a veterinarian who will remove it for you.
I wish we could get the results of their tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe you can, but I'm not at home right now can we continue this tomorrow
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I will be at my clinic tomorrow, and do not get online when I am there, but will check online early in the morning, and later in the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Pugg and i will be waiting thank you so much
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean for me to get the report? Sorry if I misunderstood. I don't even know who or where your veterinarian is. Only you, the owner of the dog, can get that information, it can only be released to the owner of the dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm sorry I will go and see if they would give it to me then I can read it or fax it to you they wouldn't before hopefully they will tomorrow
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please let me know if you get it.