Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a mutt rescue dog and he got into his heartworm medicine

Customer Question

We have a mutt rescue dog and he got into his heartworm medicine today. We think he ingested 3-5 pills. He's about 50 lbs. We had a DNA test done to determine his breeds and it came back with Golden Retriever and American Fox Hound. He has the markings of a Catahoula, so we're not really sure what he is. Do we need to take him in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Wriggley. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
He will probably be fine. The pills give a dose of around 6 micrograms (1/000th of a milligram) per kilogram (2.2 pounds; we calculate drug overdoses in micrograms per kilogram) of body weight. If he got 5 pills, he got 30 micrograms per kilogram.
In dogs that do not have the MDR gene, the minimum toxic dose starts around 400 to 500 mcg per kg; he is well under that. If he were a collie, or Aussie with the MDR gene, we would start to worry around 50 mcg per kg, but he is well under that, as well.
I would not expect any problems, and would not rush him in to your vet. You will have to get more heartworm preventative and give him another dose next month, however.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Wriggley? Can I help with or answer anything else?