Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

A week ago my 9 years old German Shepard was throwing up a

Customer Question

A week ago my 9 years old German Shepard was throwing up a mucus and she stopped eating. I manage to give her a small can of cat's food per day ( she refused to eat any dog's food even the best quality) and a dental stick. That is all she eats for 10 days, but she doesn't seem to be loosing weight or being in pain. She still walks but only to get to the bathroom and she drinks a lot of water. I couldn't go to the vet because I can't lift her to put her in my SUV and she's very heavy.My husband is sick with cancer and can' help me. This morning I found the floor in the room she stays covered with a brownish, watery liquid. How can I help her? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your gal's condition. Because of her age and breed, I worry very much that this is more serious than it appears. For now, give her Pepto Bismol at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs and try to tempt her with a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken. My fear is that she may have kidney and/or liver disease and this brown fluid is either diarrhea or vomitus that is bringing material up from the intestinal tract or stomach that is bleeding which turns brown after being digested.
Search for a mobile vet in your area to check her and run blood work....this is the only way you will know for sure how best to treat your girl.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****