Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 9 y/o pug that is having stress seizures to the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 9 y/o pug that is having stress seizures to the point that he litterally dies for up to 4 minutes. It takes putting my fingers in his throat and shaking him to get him to come around. Tonight was a terrible episode where I was sure he was gone. It started with a fight over a treat with one of my other pugs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm concerned that you're not seeing seizures but, instead, syncopal ("fainting") episodes when Jak is stressed. Stressors can certainly induce seizures but "literally dying" is more suggestive of an arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) such as third degree heart block.
Please have Jak's vet listen to Jak's heart at your earliest convenience and Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.