Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog had a weird episode this evening where he started

Customer Question

Hi. My dog had a weird episode this evening where he started blinking whenever I put my hand near his face. Then it seemed like he was twitching. I went to ask him to get up and it seemed like he couldn't - like he was exhausted all of a sudden. I got him outside and he seemed better but was still twitching and then he was sick twice.
He's been asleep for a few hours and we've just had a walk where he seemed ok. I wonder what the twitching was? It's the first time he's ever been sick in any way.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm under a considerable amount of stress at the moment and I work from home. I wonder if my stress levels are affecting him. After the twitching episode, he was uncoordinated in walking and very stiff all over and bloated looking. He didn't seem to have any pain when I prodded him all over but he looked bloated. The bloating and the unusual lack of balance and stiffness seemed to last for a few hours. Did he have a stroke or a seizure. Just prior to the twitching I used some incense in the house. Usually, I open the windows immediately after but this time I forgot. Is it possible it was an allergic reaction? I am moving to Brazil on June 16th and am worried about him flying.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with you outside of this venue. Your dog's unusual behavior, twitching, and vomiting (an autonomic nervous sign) suggested a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal and now also called a psychomotor seizure) which is defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body; can be associated with autonomic signs (vomiting, salivation, e.g.) plus an alteration in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities.
Stroke usually is evidenced by a profound change in mentation (obtundation/coma), vocalizing (whining), and seizures. How old is he, please? Stroke is rarely seen in the young dog. I don't believe that your stress level or incense is responsible for a seizure but I can't discount any stressor.
Please give me an update on him. Mark your calendar for this event. You needn't have a vet attend to him if your dog has normalized but another event within 24 hours of the initial one ("clustering") should prompt a vet visit. Many of us will tolerate one mild (lasting less than 10 minutes, no thrashing about, no incontinence, no loss of consciousness) seizure monthly before considering anticonvulsive medication.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?