Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have just lost my 8 year old maltese dog from IMHA disease..

Customer Question

I have just lost my 8 year old maltese dog from IMHA disease.. Question I would like to ask is. She had her yearly injection about Feb. Had blood test in March which showed up High liver Emzimes, 2nd blood test a week or two later which showed levels still high...She had a discolouration over her tummy (blackish colour) and a couple of black mole like spots on her tummy (they cleared with some Paw Paw cream which vet told me to use). Appeared happy and normal after clearance of tummy markings until May 14th when she suddenly wouldn't move from one spot when my son tried to take her for a walk and she just wanted to sleep so my son took her to vet and they suspected IMHA disease so sent him onto A specialist hospital for animals called SASH. They diagnosed the disease and after being put on Prendisone the blood levels rose and she came home for a few days. However suddenly she started to have trouble breathing so my son rushed her to SASH again and they put her in an oxygen cage. A few hours later they told us the best thing was to put her to sleep. I keep going over the problems with her liver enzimes previously and worry that maybe we should have followed up and that she may never have suffered. I feel so sad, can't believe she has gone. Please answer and maybe I will get some peace.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your precious girls condition and I am so sorry for your loss. This is a terrible disease and is often brought on by a vaccine that is given routinely and this, for a reason that we do nto know, starts the immune system to start going after and destroying the red blood cells. The mortality rate for this disease is 20% which is a very low rate of survival no matter what we do. It appears that this disease moved so fast that your vet could not keep up with the destruction of red blood cells and there was no choice but to ease her suffering.
I know you feel guilty and perhaps if this was given more time for treatment, your precious girl would still be with you...this is probably not the case since so many pass with this terrible disease even with aggressive treatments. The liver disease was not helpful but most likely did not contribute to your sweet girls demise....
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious girl!!!
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****