Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. Gary, I'm a little worried about my puppy. He's a

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Gary,
I'm a little worried about my puppy. He's a 10 months old lab/border collie mix. Normally he's very active and wants to play, chase the cat and steal our food lol, but today he's been very lethargic all day. I know puppies sleep a lot but he keeps getting up and moving like he isn't comfortable. He is not eating but will play a little and drink water, however his gas is horrible. He isn't throwing up, breathing hard or whining all he does is sleep. He did play with the hose yesterday and drank a lot of water (cause he threw up once), maybe it's just gas? Or am I over thinking it? I'd appreciate the advice.
Thank you!
Lindsay
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history, I don't think you are over thinking Oakley's signs. If he is restless, lethargic, struggling to get comfortable, very gassy, and off his food; then he is telling you that he doesn't feel 100%. Now hopefully he has nice pink gums, no belly pain when you press and is passing normal feces for you. If he did have any compromise to those signs, we'd need to be wary that he may have eaten something he should not have (ie dietary indiscretion, toxin, plant, non-edible item that could cause a blockage). Otherwise, it is possible that he has a bit of GI upset (where increased gut motility increases gas movement) or that he has caused a disturbance to his good GI bacteria (since they can cause gas build up).

With all this in mind, to approach this situation at the moment, I would advise that you can try to settle his stomach with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose Here ) or Zantac (More Info/Dose Here). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

As well, if he is quite gassy, then you can also try Gas x (simethicone). When doing so, we often use a dose of 1mg per pound or their body weight every 6-8 hours. Similarly, activated charcoal (which is available OTC at most pharmacies) can reduce gas and its related stomach discomfort. It comes in a range of preparations from direct additives like BCK granules (LINK) that can be mixed into food. There are also a range of palatable charcoal based biscuits that can help settle the stomach and settle gas (example). Also there are some holistic preparations on the market that might be helpful if gas is involved in his discomfort.

Further to all of this, if you wished to address any gut bacterial microflora imbalance, you can try a GI supportive treatment at this stage. Examples that would be worth using with your lass would be GI microflora supports like Fortiflora (More Info) or Pro-Kolin Enterogenic (More Info). They are both OTC (even Amazon carry them) and they can help restore gut bacteria balance and reduce gas and GI upset that way.

Finally, if his appetite is not great, we can also consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). This can be fed as small, frequent meals and should just keep any risk of stomach upset at a minimum.

Overall, his signs are quite suggestive of nausea causing appetite decline and GI upset. Therefore, we'd want to start the above supportive care and monitor him. Hopefully, as we can settle his signs, we can get him feeling back to 100% but if he has any of those additional signs or doesn't respond to our care, then we would want a check with his vet.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )