Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Frog squirted my dog in the eyes. Eyes are watering. She's

Customer Question

Frog squirted my dog in the eyes. Eyes are watering. She's squinting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Lady K came into contact with and got frog secretions in her eyes.
Most amphibians secrete a horrible tasting, stinging mucous and thus getting that in her eyes could squinting and tearing as well as pawing at her eyes. If the secretions empty into her nose and mouth via the nasolacrimal duct you can also see drooling, foamy secretions as the mucous mixes with air, and possibly vomiting.
There are only 2 truly toxic toad species in the United States however.
One is the Colorado River toad, found in northern Mexico and the southwestern United States.
The other toxic species is the Marine or Cane toad found in Florida or the very Southeastern part of the US.
Symptoms of exposure to these toads generally occur within minutes and include drooling, pawing at the mouth and eyes, vocalization, red, inflamed eyes, gums and tongue or very pale gums, difficulty breathing, incoordination, seizures, a high body temperature and complete collapse.
If you aren't in Florida, or the far south eastern or south western United States then it is very likely that your pup wasn't exposed to one of these toxic species and she will be fine.
I do recommend flushing her eyes thoroughly with sterile saline for a good 5 minutes if she will let you. If she is drooling at all also flush her mouth thoroughly, then wipe her gums and tongue with a soft, clean cloth to remove as much mucous as possible and then flush her mouth again.
Do not let her rub her face or paw at her eyes.
If she continues squinting then seeing a veterinarian on an emergency basis is best. In the meantime keep her out of bright light, and apply artificial tears as often as possible to cushion her eyes.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, please let me know how things go for your pup, Dr. Kara.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see how Lady is progressing after her run in with the frog. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if we are all set please remember to rate my response, thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's good.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update on your girl, I am pleased to hear that she is well. Please remember to rate my response before signing off so I may receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****