brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog is doing fine, 13 years old, chases squirrels, jumps

Customer Question

my dog is doing fine, 13 years old, chases squirrels, jumps up on the couch, but just started having a weird back right leg spasm or his butt hurts or something. he'll lay down and hop up real quick and run around to "walk it off" i guess, then lay down again, I took him on a walk last night and that seemed to ease his pain, he did poop during that walk but it was too dark to see anything. he does not seem to be in pain, i can massage the area its like a weird twitch.. he growled at himself this morning like he was mad at his butt.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear, he does not seem to be in actual pain. when he is walking he curves his bottom to the right and kinda shuffles his back feet until whatever is happening goes away. Once it goes away he is normal and happy. The hopping up part happened last night, he would lay down to go to sleep then hop up and quickly walk around the room shuffling his back feet. Then whatever happened went away he would go lay back down. He wanted to go outside a few times like he had to go to the bathroom really bad, but only went once we were on the walk. He calmed down after the walk, and slept, but he has been doing this most of the day. Eating fine, not vomiting, not a seziure (i have seen this in dogs before). Still wants to play and chase things outside and bark. Its very weird..
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
From your description, I am suspicious that he may have something as simple as an anal gland impaction. This causes waxing and waning discomfort in dogs, and can happen out of the blue (and chronically in some dogs).
I recommend having him evaluated by your local vet. I would start with a physical and rectal exam to check the anal glands and express them. Most dogs will return to normal within 2-3 days of the expression. If they find infection/ruptured glands, antibiotics will be necessary.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matthew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Korben. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan