Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed at osteosarcoma and had her like implicated

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed at osteosarcoma and had her like implicated the vet has indicated that she has now cancer in her lungs and his putter on two forms of medication my friends are telling me that I should put her down before she suffers I need advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What medication has Layla been put on?
Where is the osteosarcoma?
And most importantly how is she?
Is she using the affected leg? Is she active as usual? Eating, drin*****, *****ght, or showing any signs of pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her front right leg was amputated 4 months ago but 2 weeks ago they found cancer in her lungs and put her on cyclophosphamide every day and palladia a 5 day supply 3 pills each dose
She eats well, plays with her siblings but is tired
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's my world I want her to have a good life and money is not an object for me I would do anything for her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now these situations are always difficult because they cannot tell us how they feel and how much their condition is causing them issue. Now if she seems well but a bit tired; I don't feel that it is necessarily time to let her go. Though I would suggest speaking to her vet about pain relief for her. Because while she appears well, she cannot tell us if any of this is sore for her. So, covering that base will help us be sure we are addressing any discomfort and could lead to increased energy if there was a bit lurking.
Otherwise, in these situations, it is best to look to Layla to know if and when it is time. We need to look at her and ask ourselves if she is enjoying the life she currently has. Is she happy to see you when you come home? Even though she has had this leg removed, can she get up when she needs to (ie go to the toilet, etc)? Can she at least do those things that have made her doggie life worth living? These of course differ for every dog (ie chasing the ball, chewing on toys, sitting on the couch with you, etc) but as long as she can enjoy some of those things that she always has, then it may not yet be time. Of course, if she cannot or if she is caught in a body that won't let her enjoy her life, then we'd need to consider letting her go.
Overall, this is never an easy situation to be in when we are considering our companions. That said, I do not think anyone can make that decision for you and Layla. This is something between the two of you. So, the key here is to disregard what your friends have said and instead look at Layla and her life. If she is managing with her condition and still enjoying these moments, then she may not be ready to leave you (and perhaps covering our bases with pain medications could be an option to regain that energy). But if she cannot enjoy her life as she did, then that would be the sign that we need to let her go.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice I feel better xo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I wish you both the best.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Layla. How is everything going?

nekovet