Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 61/2 month old puppy has had elevated ALT twice in blood

Customer Question

my 61/2 month old puppy has had elevated ALT twice in blood work prepping for neutering. he is on Heartguard which has ivermectin. could this be the cause of the elevated ALT?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.
Friend, ivermectin will not cause ALT elevation in dogs. There are many other causes. I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about deworming with Panacur in case this is related to migrating parasites larva that can cause mild elevation of ALT. In addition, ALT can be elevated with muscle inflammation, check her CK (muscle enzyme) if they have not done so already. Finally, consider doing a bile acid test to check for liver function and +/- ultrasound of the abdomen.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter