Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy has parvo. sHe started feeling sick on Tuesday, I attributed that to a change in

Customer Question

My puppy has parvo. sHe started feeling sick on Tuesday, I attributed that to a change in food. On Wednesday, I took her for her six week shots. He got a six in one and corona vaccination. she begin puking on Thursday in addition to diarehea. On Friday, I took her into the vet where he has remained on IV support. My question is how long does it take for Parvo to run its course and what are the odds my puppy will survive? sHe is a toy poodle and only nine weeks old. He has had Parvo for almost nine days by my count. I am also concerned by her corona vaccine and six in one vaccine, will this hurt her chance for survival?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am very sorry to hear that your pup has Parvo. This is a terrible virus that can be very dangerous for our wee ones. Still, if she is hospitalized, on IV fluids and symptomatic care; then you are doing everything right to help her immune system fight this off.
Now in regards ***** ***** questions, the duration of infection and illness varies by dog. It will be based on their immune system's ability to fight off this virus. Generally speaking, this illness can cause active disease for 7-14 days. That said, if her immune system was already being distracted by a vaccine (which is full of modified viruses), then it is possible that her immune system will have been distracted. Therefore, it may need to fight those modified viruses in the vaccine at the same time she is fighting Parvo. And that means an extra challenge for her which means it could take longer for her to recover. As well, as we know this can be a fatal virus, I would note that with intensive care, the survival rate is ~75-80%. So, those are our odds for her.
Overall, the vaccine will be causing an additional immune strain as she fights off the Parvo, but we need to keep her hydrated and try to reduce the overall disease signs to give her immune system a fighting chance to overcome this and hopefully recover for us.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet