Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I received a call from my vet today and was not home in time

Customer Question

I received a call from my vet today and was not home in time to call him back. My dog just had bloodwork done. I fear that my dog may have diabetes. What are the signs, and what should be the normal blood count?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old Schnauzer boy Franky, who you think could potentially have diabetes.
Diabetes is characterised by a raised blood glucose level, but in tandem with that, glucose in the urine. It is typically both of these things that give us the diagnosis, however we usually also follow up on these results with a 'fructosamine' blood test. This test gives us an average of what the blood glucose level has likely been in the last couple of weeks. If this fructosamine is also high, then we have our diagnosis of diabetes definitively confirmed.
Don't panic if Franky is confirmed to be diabetic. With some simple insulin injections and the correct diet, he would be able to be managed very simply. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Franky. How is everything going?

Pet Doc