Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a dog (65 lb) who has had bloody stools and diarrhea

Customer Question

i have a dog (65 lb) who has had bloody stools and diarrhea for over a week.. I have given him Imodium and the vet prescribed a probiotic both capsule and paste. No change. Any
suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding you older German Shepherd cross boy Guy who has had some bloody diarrhea for around a week now with little to no change. It definitely sounds as though your boy has a large bowel problem - particular if he has fresh blood in his stools. It could be that your boy has a chronic gastroenteritis from an ongoing infection in her terminal colon, however we can also see softer feces than usual in cases of food sensitivities and intolerances as well as inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic problems.
The most likely cause is a chronic colitis if if feces are pastier than usual, smelly and contain fresh blood, which can commonly be caused by salmonella or campylobacter. If this problem is ongoing, you should take a sample in an icecream container or something similar so that your Vet can send it to the lab for a fecal culture so that we know what is going on here. As this problem has been going for over as week now, I would definitely encourage further diagnostic test to get to the bottom of this diarrhea. You vet may also want to undertake a diet trial with your boy to help rule in or rule out a food sensitivity or allergy using a product called Royal Canin Anallergenic or something similar.
Further diagnostic tests could include a full geriatric blood test to ensure there isn't an internal organ issue going on, and a special snap test to rule out a condition called EPI - exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. In the meantime, please continue on with the drugs as prescribed by your veterinarian, as well as the bland diet. Definitely follow up on this with your regular vet tomorrow if you can, and also take in that fresh, early morning stool sample if you can collect one.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.