Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog has been throwing up last several hours couple times an hour and isn't

Customer Question

My dog has been throwing up for the last several hours couple times an hour and isn't hold food or water down. He seems to be shaking a little too comstantly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old Beagle ***** ***** boy who has been vomiting for the lats couple of hours. As you can imagine, there are a number of possible causes for this vomiting including anything from acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity, to intestinal parasites.
First things first - please try and encourage your boy's water intake - this is very important. All of this vomiting means he has an increased need for water, so it is very important this is available all the time. If he can't keep water down, then you need to get him to your local Vet clinic for intravenous fluids in the next couple of hours if you can. The best plan for today would be to with-hold his food. You can then start him on a bland diet of cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice for a few days - as of later this evening.
Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the Vet.
If the vomiting continues today, despite with-holding food and if he isn't keeping much water down, then you really should get him seen today if you can. In the meantime, you may want to try a little Pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of this here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
Best of luck with your boy and do continue to keep a close eye on him. As above - if he can't keep water down, then he could quickly become dehydrated, so make sure you get him seen if this is the case.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I hope your boy is doing better today? If you could give me an update when you get a chance, that would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He actually died just yesterday. 20 min away from taking him in and found him motionless on the living room floor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Things started to look better Monday evening thru Tuesday morning then within a couple hours things went really down hill.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss! This could very well have been a toxicity given his quick decline.
Thoughts,
Dr E