Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 12 year old female Basenji. I got her as

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old female Basenji. I got her as a puppy and like most Basenji’s she had tendencies of aggression towards other dogs, but it was mild: when she ate or there was human food around and sometimes when she did not want other dogs near her.
As she is aging she seems to be getting more aggressive to the point of attacking a brand new dog that I am fostering. Is this because the foster dog is now in her territory and will she continue to attack him? He defends himself even though he is only 15 lbs and she is 25 lbs. Do you have suggestions on how I can get them to get along and not fight. So far neither have been hurt, but I am afraid it is just a matter of time before one or almost a dozen times. My sister has suggested getting her meds, but I really do not want to do this.
I also have another Beagle that she gets along with, but does sometimes growls at him he tries to enter a room she is in.
I would appreciate any advice, thoughts or suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have not received an answer. I thought I would get an answer the same day?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** doctor this question was originally intended for does not seem to be available at this time. It is a common problem to see aggression escalate as pets age. As your suggested, my suspicion is that the aggression toward to newer dog is related to the new dog entering the basenji's territory. Although correct any aggression she shows verbally is necessary, I also recommend very slow introduction of new animals. Also, sometimes with some pets, fostering a new animal does not work because they just do not accept someone new in their home.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
If most situations, if the new introduction needs to happen, I first allow only scent contact. This involves physical separation of the pet with both having an article of clothing or blanket available that smells like the other pets. If aggression or tension is displayed toward the inanimate object, visual introduction of the new pet cannot begin. If there is no abnormal behaviors toward this object, then I allow sight only contact. The best is to do this OUTSIDE the home. Say at a dog park or walking on the street. Two separate individuals should walk the dogs so they can see each other but not have contact. Once again, if tension or aggression occurs, no physical contact can be made. If no aggression, then physical contact can begin but very slowly and only in controlled manners. Once again, I recommend starting this outside of the home.