Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dachshund just ate 500 mcg of B12 - Should I be c

Customer Question

Hello my dachshund just ate 500 mcg of B12 - Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your question. I am working on it now.
I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.
We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }
Regards,
Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you below ...
1.You have absolutely no cause for concern here, that amount of a B group vitamin will not be toxic in any way to your dog.
2. Vitamin B12 is a water soluble vitamin as such it will dissolve in water and any excess, even a very large excess will be quickly and safely eliminated from your dog's body via the urine.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?