How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 9117
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HiI nHiMy vet is away and our 11 lb Yorky swallowed

Customer Question

Hi
I n
Hi
My vet is away and our 11 lb Yorky swallowed a 200 mg ibuprophen bill up
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for your dog but inducing vomiting was the best thing to do under the circumstances. I wouldn't continue to give him any peroxide; usually two times is as much as I will suggest.
I'm happy to tell you that this wouldn't constitute a significantly toxic dose for him (which would be about 500 mg) but signs can be seen at lower doses than this.
I wouldn't expect any issues with his kidneys (which can be seen at toxic doses) but signs which might develop include gastric ulceration which means her stools will be loose and look like black tar. He may develop diarrhea without the black tarry look to them as well.
These signs may be seen within the next 12-24 hours or so and if they do develop (the black stool), then a vet visit may be prudent.
In the meantime, when he seems less nauseous, then you can give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) which can help with gastric issues. The dose for a dog this size would be 2.5 mg or 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day.
I'd also feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next day or so.
I hope this helps to reassure you that the amount of drug which he ingested isn't likely to cause significant issues for him. Deb