Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Increased thirst. No change in urination, no lethargy, no change

Customer Question

Increased thirst. No change in urination, no lethargy, no change in appetite...slight restlessness, licking of bottom, increase in bowl movements
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she been drinking more?
Are her stools softer then usual?
When was she last in season/heat? Or is she spayed?
Any changes around her peri-rectal region (ie sores, wounds, swellings, redness, etc)?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drinking more has been spotty the past couple of weeks...mostly happens during the middle of the night. We sleep upstairs, so we thought maybe she was just getting hot.
Her stools have been slightly softer a couple of times, but not daily.
She is spayed.
Not bloating or tenderness in abdomen.
The only thing she has eaten was canned pumpkin that we gave her for the increased defecation the past 2 days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just felt her belly again, maybe slightly bloated, didn't seem to have any discomfort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I keep adding things. :) paranoid mother...We did take her for a nature walk today, so it would be possible that she got in to something she shouldn't have...but we keep a pretty good eye on her, so I think we would've notice.She did just pass has a couple of times, but no odor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums are pink.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if her stools are softer then usual, then this suggests reduced water absorption in her GI. If that is occurring, then that could lead to some fluid loss which would in turn trigger increased thirst. Furthermore, if we have a low grade GI issue causing increased motility and loose stools, that would also cause increased fecal output.
Now if you are not seeing this settle with by increasing dietary fiber with pumpkin, I would note that there are some other options we can try to address this for Gabby. Specifically, if we do have low grade GI disturbance, then it can often help to treat these dogs with a canine GI microflora support or probiotic. This can help normalize the good GI bacterial population to restore normal GI function and therefore normal stool production. Now there are a range of canine pro-biotic options on the market. The ones I tend to use for patients are Fortiflora or Protexin Enterogenic. Both are available over the counter at most vets, some pet stores, and even online (ie Amazon).
Alternatively, if you think her stools are quite runny, you could instead use Protexin Pro-fiber or Propectalin. This will include the above but also contains Kaolin to slow the diarrhea. Again these are OTC as well. And finally just to note, in case you already had the probiotics on hand, you could use those in combination with Kaolin (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) to again slow her loose stools and restore the normal gut bacteria population.
Overall, in this case, I do suspect that her increased thirst is related to GI fluid losses. We could of course measure her water intake (by measuring what you put in the water bowl minus what is left after 24 hours), but in this case, I do suspect her signs will settle if we can address that low grade lower GI upset. So, do consider the above for her at this stage. If you find she doesn't settle or the stools become runnier, then we'd want to consider a check up +/- fecal testing to make sure she hasn't picked up a GI bug that is triggering these signs.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If she has picked up something she should not have, then this could be related to a dietary indiscretion. Still, the above will help but you could also offer her a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese) to just make her GI's workload easier for her and again reduce those loose stools for her.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So you don't think this is any kind of bloat or something we need to rush her to the ER to address, correct? Sorry to keep bothering, I've just been reading online (big mistake) and have concerns. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome,
No worries at all asking questions. I would much rather we discuss any worries, rule them out, or pick them up (and know we need to act); then leave them to linger. But if her gums are pink, she isn't distended, and she is comfortable in her belly; then bloat is unlikely thankfully unlikely here. So, some monitoring and supportive care are in order, but this doesn't sound sinister for Gabby.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the slight extendedness, and a couple of "toots" in the past couple of minutes is probably just the GI disturbance, correct?I just took her out, and her stool was perfectly normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That sounds more like gas, which we often see with upset of the good gut bacteria (just as we do in people). And passing gas, being comfortable, and being able to eat/drink; reduces concerns of bloats or GI twists. So, monitor her but again this doesn't fit with bloat. Of course, if she doesn't settle by the time her vet is open and you are concerned, then a check up is never a bad idea but again this doesn't sound like an emergency situation.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** for all of your help!!Again, sorry about all the questions. :) I just love my little girl!Have a great evening. Thank you, again!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Again no worries at all. :)
All the best for you both,
Dr. B.