Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 9 year old shepherd hit his head on the corner of our large

Customer Question

Our 9 year old shepherd hit his head on the corner of our large wood coffee table a few hours ago. He is normally sound asleep by now and can not seem to get comfortable in any of his usual spots. He came running out of the other room whining as though something had hurt him about an hour after he hit his head. He shakes his head every once in a while and his pupils are the same size but don't seem to react to light. He seems to be holding his head very slightly to one side. We are visiting family and don't have our vet here. Does he need to see a vet? If so, right away? Or can I wait til the office where my mother goes is open?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does he seem mentally aware? Not mentally dull?
Now that a bit of time has passed, if you recheck his pupil dilation using a very bright light, do the constrict at all?
Does he seem like he can see?