Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog started having diarrhea at about 4am Friday morning

Customer Question

My dog started having diarrhea at about 4am Friday morning and has been peeing in strange places for the past few days. Like he has never urinated in our house, and now he will walk and make a trail through the living room and other places. I thought the diarrhea had stopped today, so I put him back inside, and he had a projectile case all over his kennel. I put him outside in our enclosed porch, so I could clean it, and and when I just went outside to check on him, there was a puddle of pee on the step, with a trail down the steps. He always goes on the puppy pads in our porch, so this is not normal. Just recently, before the diarrhea started, he started with the peeing everywhere. Even when people pet him, he pees all over. I know that this may be common with small dogs, but he is 41 lbs, and growing at a steady rate of around 10 - 12 lbs a month. He is up to date on all shots, he is almost 6 months old, and is potty trained. He rarely goes outside at all. He uses puppy pads in our enclosed porch to use the bathroom, so I am very worried about what is wrong with him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such symptoms will need the attention of Bucket's vet. It's unclear how his urinary incontinence is connected to his diarrhea but I might conjecture that bacteria from his diarrheic stool has contaminated his urinary tract and a urinary tract infection (UTI) is now present.
His vet should consider presumptively worming Bucket with the broad spectrum fenbendazole (Panacur) which is also available over the counter now if you prefer to worm him instead. The prescription antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole might be administered as presumptive therapy for his diarrhea until a more definite etiology for that diarrhea is determined. Simple diarrheas usually remiss unaided within 72 hours. Diarrheas lasting longer than that may require diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as fecal ova and parasite testing plus bacterial culture and endotoxin analysis (if clostridial infections are suspected). A urinalysis is mandatory when investigating such inappropriate urination. Abnormal numbers of either white or red blood cells and the presence of bacteria in the urine indicate a UTI which is then addressed either with a broad spectrum antibiotic or one chosen predicated upon the results of a bacterial culture and sensitivity of the urine.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.